This is a painless, noninvasive test that checks for any issues with the electrical activity of your heart. It records the electrical activity of different areas of the heart and transcribes it as wavy lines on paper.
An EKG may be performed to check for a variety of issues:
- Irregular heartbeat
- The heart’s electrical activity
- Causes of unexplained chest pain or symptoms of heart disease
- Damage to heart muscle and tissue
- Changes in the thickness of the heart walls
- Chemical or electrolyte imbalances in the body